Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison

11 hours ago 4

NEWYou tin present perceive to Fox News articles!

The antheral accused of carrying retired a Hanukkah panic onslaught successful Sydney, Australia, was seen publically for the archetypal clip Monday, appearing by video nexus from Goulburn Supermax situation during a proceeding astatine Downing Center Local Court.

7NewsAustralia reported that Naveed Akram, 24, spoke lone concisely during the little than 10-minute proceeding arsenic a suppression bid protecting the names of immoderate victims was extended.

"Did you perceive what conscionable occurred?" Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked. "Yep," Akram replied.

"Your solicitor volition telephone you, OK?" Freund said.

FAMILIES MOURN LOVED ONES LOST IN BONDI BEACH TERROR ATTACK: ‘NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE THE PAIN’

Courtroom illustration shows a antheral   connected  a video surface  from a high-security situation  addressing a Sydney magistrate during ineligible  proceedings.

A tribunal sketch depicts accused Bondi shooter Naveed Akram appearing via video nexus from Goulburn Supermax situation astatine Downing Centre Local Court successful Sydney, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (Rocco Fazzari/AAP Image via AP)

"Yeah," responded the shooting suspect.

Akram has been charged with 1 number of committing a violent act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and further firearms and explosives offenses, according to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website. 

The astir superior charges transportation imaginable beingness imprisonment.

ISRAELI DIASPORA MINISTER SAYS AUSTRALIA SHOULD HAVE SEEN 'WRITING ON THE WALL' BEFORE TERROR ATTACK

Inset of 3  victims of the Bondi Beach onslaught  with flowers, candles, and mourners successful  the background.

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French nationalist Dan Elkayam were victims of the Bondi Beach attack.  (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)

Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters it was excessively aboriginal to bespeak however his lawsuit would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.

"There’s a lawsuit that needs to beryllium represented. And we don’t fto our idiosyncratic presumption get successful the mode of our nonrecreational application," Archbold said.

His adjacent tribunal quality is scheduled for April 8.

Police officers basal   adjacent   Bondi Beach arsenic  they unafraid  the country  pursuing  a deadly violent  onslaught  during the archetypal  nighttime  of Hanukkah.

Police teams instrumentality information measures astatine Bondi Beach successful Sydney, Australia, connected Sunday aft a violent onslaught targeting the Jewish assemblage during the archetypal nighttime of Hanukkah.  ( Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The 24-year-old is accused of carrying retired Australia’s deadliest panic onslaught targeting a Jewish "Hanukkah by the Sea" solemnisation astatine Bondi Beach successful December. 

His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was changeable and killed successful a weapon conflict with constabulary astatine the scene.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi onslaught arsenic an "ISIS-inspired atrocity," saying astatine a property league astatine Parliament House successful Canberra precocious past twelvemonth that the authorities had been informed by the Office of National Intelligence of an ISIS online video provender reinforcing that assessment.

Ashley Carnahan is simply a writer astatine Fox News Digital.

Read Entire Article